This is a quick and nutritious meal that can be prepared in a jiffy. The fish can be ready in less than 15 minutes. The condiments take a little more time. I think that it is worth the time to make the salsa and guacamole to go with this dish.
This dish also gives you a great way to rotate fish into your diet. Because it is a spicy dish, you can use a fairly low cost fish. We use Pollock because it is a tasty white fish that happens to be very economical right now.
For a healthy meat version of this dish try my Heart Healthy Meat Taco .
- 4-6 oz of white firm fish such as haddock, cod or pollock
- taco seasoning either store bought or home mix
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp of finely minced garlic
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup of finely ground cornmeal
- finely chopped lettuce
- grated cheddar cheese
- soft taco shells
- Lizabetti's Spicy Chunky Salsa
- Lizabetti's Zesty Guacamole
- Rinse the fish in cold water. Pat the fish dry with paper towels. It is really important to pat the fish dry or it will stick to the pan when you are cooking.
- Cut the fish into serving portions of about the size of your palm
- Salt and pepper the fish.
- Coat the fish with the minced garlic.
- Sprinkle the fish with the taco seasoning. Be generous with the seasoning.
- For an extra kick, sprinkle cayenne pepper on the fish.
- Drizzle olive oil on the fish. This will help the seasoning to adhere to the fish. Set the fish aside.
- Prepare the salsa and guacamole.
- Just before you are ready to cook the fish, lightly coat the pieces with cornmeal. Use a small strainer which will help to evenly distribute the cornmeal. The cornmeal will give the fish a nice crunch.
- Using a nonstick frying pan, coat the bottom with olive oil and heat on medium.
- Saute the first side of the fish for about 2 minutes. When the sides begin to turn opaque, its time to flip the fish.
- Cook the second another 2 minutes or so.
- To heat the tortilla, place them in a warm skillet for a few minutes. Warm one side, then flip and warm the other side.
- Serve with all your favorite taco toppings, salsa, guacamole, shredded lettuce and cheese.
- Just before serving squeeze some lime juice onto the fish.
See All of Our Recipes
Copyright © 2007, 2008 Lizabetti.com, All Rights Reserved