OH WHERE ARE THE VEGGIES MEAT TACO?
I put together this easy version of tacos to get more veggies into my children. The carrots and celery mix I use can stand up to the flavoring of the taco mix and yet you will have to look really hard to find them. I think it adds a riches to the taste of the meat and makes it really healthy treat. Once you prepare the meat it can be used in any Mexican dish. You can use any kind of ground meat from beef to turkey and even chicken. There are times when we have leftover grilled meat and I will grind that up and use it as the basis for this recipe. In this case, the smokiness of the grilled meat adds another whole dimension to this easy dish. Since I use the store bought taco mix, instead of using water to prepare the dish, I like to use stock.
Build the taco with Chunky Salsa, guacamole, bean dip, sharp cheddar cheese, and lettuce. The fun of the taco is that each person adds their favorites, but I want it all !
- 1 lb of ground lean beef or turkey or chicken (lean pork works too)
- 2 peeled carrots
- 3 stalks of washed/cleaned celery stalk
- 1 small onion finely chopped (if you want the onion to disappear-as in serving to kids) or coarsely chopped
- 1 package of store bought taco mix
- 1 tsp of cayenne (optional, if you like your food spicy)
- 1 cup of stock
- 2 tbsp of olive or canola oil
- Using the metal blade of the food processor, finely chop the carrots and celery. I like the veggies finely chopped and not completely pureed.
- In a nonstick skillet add the oil and heat on medium until it shimmer.
- Add the meat and saute. The meat may release some water which should be poured out so that the meat has a chance to brown.
- Add the onion and saute until it is transparent and fragrant.
- Add the celery/carrot mixture including any liquid that may have been release during the chopping process.
- Cook until the veggies start to wilt and become soft, a few minutes.
- Add the taco mix and thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
- Add 1/2 cup of stock and stir in. Add additional stock if needed to keep the mixture moist, not soggy.
- Cook for about 20 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Build your taco and serve.
Copyright © 2007, 2008 Lizabetti.com, All Rights Reserved