This a much loved recipe that has been served by Gedo to many friends and over the years has become one of his signature dish. Not only is it tasty, but it is also extremely healthy. The combination of chicken and spinach with the zestiness of the lime is a delight to the taste buds. Add a little red rice or any rice and you are ready for dinner.
- 4 pieces of boneless chicken breast (about 2 lbs)
- 2 medium onion
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 1 lime
- One 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 20 oz can of chick peas or 1 cup of dried chick peas soaked until soft - about 1 hour)
- 1 lb of spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp of allspice
- When making this dish, I prefer to use the dried chick peas that I soak until they are soft. This takes about an hour. I prefer this version of the chick peas because they have not been cooked and they retain their firm texture which is a nice complement in the dish. The dish is still great using the can chick peas. To soak the chick peas, place them in a large bowl and rinse with hot tap water. Add more hot water and soak. The chick peas should double in size.
- Clean and trim the chicken breast. Rinse and cut into bit size.
- Coarsely chop the 2 onions.
- Trim and thoroughly wash the spinach. There is nothing worse than finding gritty sand from the spinach. Spin the spinach dry and coarsely chopped it.
- Clean and trim the cilantro. Rinse and dry. Coarsely chop.
- Finely minced the garlic
- Peel 4 strips of the rind on the lime. The best way to do this is to peel the rind lenghtwise on the lime. What you are trying to do is to only partially peel the lime. Then cut the lime in half. Set one half a side for later. With the other half, chopped it into small chunks.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. When the bottom of the pan is hot, add the chicken and steam the pieces in its own juice. Continue cooking until all the juices are absorbed. It will take about 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring the chicken during this process.
- Once the chicken juices are absorbed, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and saute the chicken until golden brown. It should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Now add the chopped onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown and fragrant. It may be necessary to add more olive oil at this point.
14. Stir in the spinach and cook on low heat for an additional 20-30 minutes.
15. Just prior to serving, squeeze the juice of the 1/2 remaining lime.
16. Serve over rice. Generous serving for 4-6.